Skip to main content

It doesn’t get easier, it gets different.


I’m a mom.    

A happy mom, a sad mom, a confused and lost mom, a day late and a dollar short mom.  I feel all the feels, all the time.

My kids were young when I called my middle sister crying.  This is my ‘make it all better’ sister.  Motherhood was kicking my ass, double time.  Her kids at the time were teenagers. As always, she listened to me fall apart, and when I was done she calmly said ‘listen pal, it doesn’t get easier, it gets different’. 

What the hell?  Hello! I am calling for encouragement, not this shit.  If I wanted advice with no value I’d go ask one of my friends who doesn’t have kids, or the dog.  I don’t remember what happened next, but I’m pretty predictable.  I’m guessing I called my oldest sister, to talk about the weather and working into the convo, super casually, I would mention the advice I had just been given.  She in turn would have said ‘we’ve all been there Heidi Lindsay’ (she practically raised me so she can call me the wrong name all damn day).  Then, the super mature me, would have locked the bathroom door, sat on the rug, and cried.  I know this because this is still my trusty go to.  The older I get, the more open I am about it.  I. Hit. The. Floor.  It’s not always the bathroom (although, that’s my favorite), it can be the bedroom floor, closet floor, kitchen floor.  Every mom, no matter what, has their thing.  Maybe it’s a glass of wine, the entire pizza, going for a run, or perusing the Target clearance section.  Maybe it’s all of those things.  Maybe you drink, shove your face full of food, then run to Target to spend no less than $80 on shit you don’t need.  And if you do all of that, call me, because you are my new spirit animal. 

A lot of years have passed since that conversation, and I never miss a moment to tell a new mom ‘it doesn’t get easier, it gets different’.  After dragging myself up off of various floor spaces, I realized that was the best advice she could have given me.  Telling me it will get better was bullshit.  Telling me it will be easier once the phase is over, bullshit.  Because as moms, all we really do is trade one moment for another.  It’s what you choose to take away from all of it that matters most.

There will come a time when you will laugh with your girlfriends about when your kid threw up in the grocery store, or when you stepped on a Lego in the wee hours of the morning then proceeded to wake the entire family all while teaching your children all the amazing four letter words you had promised to never use in front of them. Now they chant ‘I fucking love Paw Patrol!’   You will remember the head in the banister, the lost woobie, and even the time your kid ‘drunk the ants’.  You will never forget the traumatization of the stomach bug, the lice, the strep throat, and the myriad of other ridiculous illnesses that your parents swear didn’t exist when you were a kid (and I’m pretty sure they are right).  You will spend the rest of your life as a mom trading one moment for another. 

And can we, for one second, stop with all the ‘they grow up so fast, you’ll miss this’.  Listen, sure, I will miss it.  But when I am in the middle of the checkout lane, with a limp child hanging from my arm screaming for candy, now is not the time to remind me of this.  I won’t think you are funny.  I won’t pass a fake smile your way.  I’ll do what I do best and use humor as a defense mechanism and say something like ‘can the mother of this child please come get him?’  And oh by the way, I feel as if you are picturing a 3 year old.  If that makes you feel better, keep with it.  But the brutal truth is that may very well be my 8 or 11 year old. Maybe not hanging, but definitely pushing me to my limit, flying over every speed bump, until I hit that proverbial wall called ‘MOMMY NEEDS A TIME OUT’.  For the record, I have yet to lay on the grocery store floor, but it’s certainly not out of the question.

We’ve gone from diapers, to Pull-Ups, to sports cups.  We’ve traded car seats for beating the crap out of each other in the back seat.  We traded nightly baths for trying to remember the last time you made your kid shower (do not act like I’m alone in this one).  So long sweet lullabies and hello video games and electronics.  The giggles have turned to eye rolls but the hugs and kisses remain and that’s what brings me back down after a day of wondering if I can do this anymore.  Not easier, just different.

There’s nothing in this world I wanted to be more than a mother.  It’s still to this day my greatest accomplishment. 

But, I refuse to rob myself of the feelings.  All of them.  It’s ok to laugh and cry and laugh and cry and eat and cry and laugh and eat and buy self-help books that you will never read (or just shop the unread selection I have to offer).  I will not apologize for yelling at my kids or having a bad day.  I will not say sorry for not being my fake best.  I’m here to show my kids it’s ok to be who they are, one moment after another. 

Comments

Jerrioler said…
Listen Heidi, that was the best yet honey. Full of humor and all the things that make you a great mommy!!! Love your thoughts and honesty. No wonder I Love you so much💕💕💕

Popular posts from this blog

D'sheveled

D'sheveled.  Makes it seem French.  Like for all people know, in French it means D'sheveled: being in a state of glamour and wealth, a socialite.  In plain English it means: HOT MESS.  I used to have it together.  I mean like really together.  I knew when I had appointments that were 6 months out.  I knew my husbands social security number by heart, clipped coupons and knew where I stashed them, and could recite the address of everyone I knew.  Then, I gave birth.  Just like that, my memory (along with my nice boobs, patience, energy, ability to multi-task) went down the proverbial drain.  Gone, never to be seen again.  Now if you don't have time to read this because you have it all together, I won't take offense.  I mean, I probably won't call you my friend, but you won't know, because you didn't read this anyways.  For the rest of you, you know who you are, the ones sitting on the computer with the following windows opened: Pinterest, Facebook, People,

*Come Together*

I read an article recently on being a mom.  About how all moms are the same.  We are all incredibly blessed to have been given the chance to love another human so deeply it hurts.  There is nothing that can prepare you for being a mom.  The connection you feel towards your child.  It is unexpected, joyous, overwhelming.  Being a mother is the hardest job in the world.  It doesn't matter what kind of mom you are.  Whether you gave birth to your children, or you adopted.  Moms who have sick babies or healthy babies.  Moms who are pregnant with their first or moms who recently lost a baby.  Moms of children with differences.  Older moms and teenage moms.  Your status, your social standing, your religion.  None of it matters.  Moms are moms all across the world.  So why do we hate each other?  Shocked that I said that?  We all do it.  In different ways. I remember coming back to work from maternity leave.  I was bitter and resentful.  I didn't want to leave my baby with a strange

It's not hard.

Don’t be mean. The world is a scary place that is made up of millions of different personalities and beliefs.   Being a mom, I now realize just how difficult it is to grow up in this demented world.   I know I cannot fix the deficit, world hunger or global warming.   I can however take every fiber of my being to teach my kid not to be mean.   Will it work?   Hell if I know.   But it’s worth a try.   Take a look around, turn on the news, listen to the radio.   Every other headline is about a bullied kid.   A hate crime.   A mindless shooting.   This is the world our kids are growing up in.   We cannot deny this.    Kids are making You Tube videos crying about how much they are bullied and hated.   How they don’t fit in.   How no one loves them.   This is unacceptable and has to stop.   As a society, we have to change this.   Things will only get worse.   Kids are innocent.   They aren’t born with hate in their bodies and minds.   They don’t understand race, sexual preferenc